Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Last Time I Talked to My Grandpa


My mom bought me a book on CD that I listened to at work. The author told a story when he was a young father, busy with trying to better his life and his families' financial future. While pursing this at home one night in the den, his young daughter asked him to come play "Candyland" with the family. He dismissed her quickly and got back to work. Soon he heard his wife and kids playing happily and decided to take a break to watch them. As he stood, unnoticed in the door way, watching his family enjoy time together, a spiritual thought came to him, "behold, the plan of salvation". The big picture was opened up to him in his minds eye and suddenly the important things in the den got trumped by the silly game in the living room.
The last time I talked to my Grandfather, I went over to say goodbye after a visit to the good ol' Gila Valley. The house was empty except for him. He talked to me for a while, remembering some good memories and suddenly stopped in front of the picture wall, next to the bathroom in the hall. The wall had a picture of each of his children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. A picture in the middle of he and grandma seemed so perfectly placed. As we looked at his posterity, the words of the author rang in my head "behold the plan of salvation." This was my grandpa's plan of salvation. The reason for our journey on this earth. I suddenly felt so proud to be a part of that lineage. I named my last son after this great man so that I would never forget the example he set for me. So I would never forget what my grandfather did for me in my life, and so I would never forget the last time I talked to my grandfather.
Until we meet again....

5 comments:

Leah said...

Very sweet words Jeff. I transcribed the Grandparent years and he talked about you living with him and how special that was. He really was so wonderful!

Jill said...

That was lovely. I'm so glad you got a cute picture of the two Kenyons. Grandpa was so proud of that crazy haired baby of yours! He was so honored that you used his name.

Meagan said...

What a tender moment! I love that wall in their house. And that is a good quote to describe it. I'm glad we know we'll see those two again.

Anonymous said...

I will not approve on it. I regard as warm-hearted post. Particularly the appellation attracted me to study the intact story.

Anonymous said...

Genial post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.