Thursday, February 12, 2009

I WALKED A HALF MARATHON AND HERE'S THE PROOF!

Last weekend I left all 4 kids with Jeff, who had a little help from my mom and took off for 2 full days of fun. A half marathon was something I thought I would never do. I mean EVER! But I did it. A friend of mine from church, Ladawn Halbison and I started walking about 3 months ago. A friend of hers from work work suggested a half marathon. We trained religiously. We were going to do the marathon in Sedona. We got to where we could walk 15 minute miles. We knew we would not be able to do that in Sedona because of the altitude and the geographics of the trail. Check it out! Look at those hills. That is the reason we were going to be totally content with 16-17 minute miles. Boy were we happy with our results.



Official length of walk was 3 hours 24 minutes 13 seconds. That meant we walked 15 minute and 37 second miles. Yeah!

This is us at the place where we picked up our bib and racing packet.



Me, Ladawn, and Carla



We are showing off the timing chip we wear to get our official time. When you cross the pad at the start it activates your timing chip and then when you cross the pad at the finish it marks your times. Pretty great. Then you can access your time online.



Starting out. It was supposed to rain but we were pretty lucky and had no rain at all. The weather was pretty perfect.



At the finish line. Not the prettiest picture but hey I just walked 13.1 miles. We medaled and so did everyone else. It was a great experience. I was so sore the next couple of days that I could hardly move. I am not sure how soon we will walk another marathon. I know we would like to do Sedona again next year and take a few more people with us. Anyone in?

1 comment:

Leah said...

That is just so awesome!! I am so proud of you! Love all the pics too...what a great time!